Last Updated on 1 year by Yomesh
No updates have been made to Cannabis/ hemp- CBD laws in Rhode Island.
In addition to the federal hemp laws laid out in the 2018 Farm Bill, each state has its own state hemp laws. Before we dive in on Rhode Island Hemp Laws and the legality of CBD in Rhode Island, it is important to understand the different types of hemp and CBD products that these laws may be applied to.
There are many (somewhat confusing) terms for hemp oil:
- Isolate or THC-Free Hemp Oil has only CBD and all other plant compounds have been removed, THC is undetectable. Pure CBD Isolate can also be purchased in powder form.
- Full-Spectrum Hemp Oil has all plant compounds, including less than 0.3% THC.
- Broad-Spectrum Hemp Oil has undetectable THC, but contains other plant compounds.
- PCR (Phytocannabinoid-Rich) Hemp Oil with Zero-THC is a new marketing term for broad-spectrum hemp oil.
- CBG Hemp Oil is a hemp oil from a cannabigerol (CBG) rich hemp strain that has more CBG than is found in CBD Hemp Oil.
- Hemp Flower is the dried and harvested flower of the hemp plant. It can be used whole or extracted to make CBD isolate, Full-Spectrum CBD, or Broad-Spectrum CBD (PCR Hemp Oil).
FAQ: Hemp and CBD Legality in Rhode Island
Is Full Spectrum CBD Legal in Rhode Island?
That is a trick question because full-spectrum CBD is not the same as the so-called PCR Hemp Oil! This new marketing term is certainly introducing even more confusion around CBD products.
Rhode Island hemp laws require CBD retailers to be licensed with the state, along with growers, processors, distributors, and handlers. Only products bought from licensed CBD businesses are legal in Rhode Island, and smokable products may also be restricted.
Is It Legal to Ship PCR Hemp Oil to Rhode Island?
It is legal to ship ALL types of hemp products with less than 0.3% THC to all US States according to the 2018 Farm Bill.
Where to Buy Full Spectrum CBD Oil in Rhode Island?
Under Rhode Island hemp laws, CBD can only be purchased in licensed stores.
Do you need a special license to purchase PCR Hemp Oil in Rhode Island?
You don’t need a special license to purchase CBD hemp oil (all types) in Rhode Island, only to grow, test, or sell products.
How Does Rhode Island Legally Define Hemp?
“Industrial hemp” or “hemp” means the plant of the genus cannabis and any part of such plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration that does not exceed three-tenths percent (0.3%) on a dry-weight basis of any part of the plant cannabis, or per volume or weight of marijuana product or the combined percent of delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol and tetrahydrocannabinol and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid in any part of the plant cannabis regardless of the moisture content. For purposes of this Part, hemp shall include hemp derivatives such as hemp extractions and concentrates. Pursuant to R.I. Gen. Laws § 2-28.6-4(t) hemp is not medical marijuana.Rhode Island Industrial Hemp Agricultural Pilot Program (230-RICR-80-10-1)
Growing and Selling Hemp in Rhode Island
Rhode Island hemp growers and handlers must be registered and licensed with the state. They have a very well defined legal process to follow. The Rhode Island Department of Business Regulations oversees the hemp cultivation program, as well as licensing for hemp processing, CBD distribution, and CBD retailers.
Rhode Island hemp laws include:
- The Hemp Growth Act, RI Gen. Laws § 2-26-1, et seq.
- Rhode Island Industrial Hemp Agricultural Pilot Program (230-RICR-80-10-1)
Retail Hemp and CBD products must comply with Rhode Island hemp laws:
- Products must contain no more than 0.3% THC
- Products must come from a registered farm
- Products must be tested by a licensed laboratory
- Butane extraction is prohibited and the state limits acceptable extraction solvents
Rhode Island state hemp laws allow for CBD products such as:
- Hemp topicals
- Hemp concentrates and extracts (oils and tinctures)
- Industrial hemp for building or fiber materials
- Industrial hempseed (food product)
- Industrial hempseed oil (food product)