Last Updated on 2 weeks by Plain Jane
For as convenient as CBD tinctures can be, they sure are expensive. But what most hemp vendors won’t tell you is that you could actually replicate their tinctures at home at just a fraction of the cost. We’re talking about homemade CBD tinctures from hemp flowers.
The process of making hemp tinctures doesn’t really involve too many steps or ingredients. In fact, a lot of the essentials probably already exist in your kitchen. Wondering how to make your own DIY CBD tincture? Just follow these steps.
CBD Tincture: What is It?
Skip Ahead to Topic
Back in the 1800s, people would produce what they called ‘tinctures’ — medicinal formulations that used organic plant matter. They developed these solutions by drawing out plant chemistry by soaking them in high-proof alcohol.
At the time, hemp was still legal all throughout the country. So people making tinctures would toss in a hefty amount of hemp flower to enhance the effects of their tinctures.
These solutions lost popularity however when Mexicans fleeing the revolution sought refuge in the US. These refugees carried with them rolled smokeable hemp flower — the early form of hemp pre-rolls.
Since the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, however, hemp tinctures have regained prominence. Offering an option for consumers who don’t appreciate the experience of smoking hemp flower, tinctures provide unmatched convenience even for on-the-go hemp users.
Ingredients for Making CBD Tinctures
If more people knew just how easy it is to make CBD tinctures, vendors would see a sudden dip in tincture sales. These formulations are insanely easy to make at home. And once you start making your own, you might start to question the prices that some vendors charge for their CBD tinctures.
Here are all the items you’ll need to make CBD tinctures at home:
- High-proof alcohol (90% or higher)
- Hemp flower
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Airtight jar
- Fine mesh strainer
- Large mixing bowl
- Tincture bottle (preferably tinted brown)
Depending on your preferences, you could also prepare a natural essential oil for added flavor. Some peppermint oil works great to mask the organic taste of hemp and the bitterness of the alcohol. But it all depends on your own preference.
Step-by-Step Process for Making CBD Tincture at Home
For most of those who have tried making their own CBD tincture, the biggest drawback is the amount of time it takes. The process itself doesn’t really call for too many steps. But you will have to wait a while before you get to enjoy the finished product.
- Preheat your oven and prepare the flower – Turn on your oven and set it to 250°F. Leave it to preheat for at least 15-20 minutes. While you wait, prepare your hemp flower. For this process, you’ll need about 7g of hemp flower without any stalks, stems, or seeds.
Break apart the flower and spread it over the parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Keep the flower coarsely ground and try to separate the bits far apart so they all get evenly heated.
- Begin decarboxylation – There’s a reason why you have to smoke hemp flower if you want to experience its benefits. Cannabinoids get activated through a process called decarboxylation. This involves exposing the flower to heat.
With your hemp flower ready and your oven at the ideal heat, you can start the process of decarboxylation. Leave the flower in the oven for 40-60 minutes. By the end of the process, you should notice that the flower has turned into a nice brownish color.
- Collect the activated hemp flower into an airtight jar – Once the wait is over, you can collect all of the activated flowers and place them into your jar. The reason why you’ll want to use an airtight jar is that this is when you’ll extract the hemp chemistry.
Once you’ve placed all the flowers into the jar, you can pour in your high-proof alcohol. Make sure all of the plant matter is sufficiently submerged. Then seal the jar and give it a little shake so all the flower gets soaked in the alcohol.
- Find proper storage – Now’s the tough part. You’re going to have to wait around three weeks to a whole month so the hemp’s compounds infuse into the alcohol. During that time, you’re going to want to make sure the solution is stored properly.
Keep the jar away from direct sunlight and heat. You should also make it a point to revisit the jar weekly to give it a shake so that the plant’s chemistry infuses effectively into the alcohol.
- Separate the plant matter – After the waiting period, you can break open your solution to strain. Place a sheet of cheesecloth over a fine mesh strainer and pour the tincture over a large mixing bowl.
You can take a new, clean cheesecloth and repeat the straining process until the resulting solution becomes clear.
- Place into individual tincture bottles – A little dropper lid makes it much easier to use your tincture on the go. But if you ended up making too much solution than your little tincture bottles can fit, then you can simply pour the remaining solution into a clean airtight jar for safekeeping.
Because of the alcohol, tinctures can last for years in storage. Just make sure to keep your stash in a cool dry place, and replenish your tincture bottles only when they’re entirely empty.
Using Your DIY CBD Tincture
CBD tinctures don’t really require a lot of ceremonies. Simply taking a few drops under the tongue should have you feeling light and easy within minutes. Make sure to measure your dose nonetheless and start off with one or two drops, gradually increasing the amount to find your threshold.
If you struggle with the bitterness and strength of alcohol, then you can add your drops to food and drink to ease the stress on your palate.
And That’s On CBD Tinctures
Yes, it’s that simple. Don’t let vendors fool you into thinking that you can’t make your own tinctures at home. Affordable and easy, homemade tinctures prove to be a cost-effective solution for hemp users who prefer the simplicity and convenience that tinctures offer — minus the steep prices.
So before you go and buy a CBD tincture from your local vendor, why not try these steps? Who knows, you might even find your homemade CBD tincture to be better than storebought.