Last Updated on 1 year by Yomesh
Are you tired of your weed losing its pungent aroma? Perhaps it’s no longer got that kick it once had? We’ve noticed that a lot of people always ask us how to keep weed fresh? So in this article, I’m going to discuss a few fool’s proof methods on how to keep your weed fresh and potent.
Does Weed Expire: How Long Does Weed Stay Good?
Skip Ahead to Topic
- 1 Does Weed Expire: How Long Does Weed Stay Good?
- 2 The Main Factors to Consider
- 3 5 Tips on How to Store Weed!
- 4 What’s the Best Way to Store Marijuana?
- 5 Keep Marijuana Fresh with Mylar Bags
- 6 Keeping Marijuana Fresh with Plain Jane Containers
You’re digging through your kitchen pantry and come across an old stash of Plain Jane delta-8 flowers. Can you smoke these? Does weed have an expiry date?
The question—does weed expire is something we ask ourselves all too often. Yes, weed can have a best-before date, and this is directly related to the amount of THC degraded over time. Generally, when it comes to Plain Jane delta 8 flowers, the best before date ranges anywhere from 6 to 12 months.
The Main Factors to Consider
Before we dive deeper into the subject of how to keep weed fresh, I think it’s important to cover a few factors that will influence the shelf life of your cannabis. Marijuana buds is an organic substance, and so with time, it will gradually undergo the process of decomposition. So, let’s break this biology lesson down a bit more.
- An oxygen-rich environment is essential for microbes to break down organic matter. So, if you expose your cannabis to a lot of oxygen, it will begin to decompose over time.
- You can think of temperature as a source of energy to the process of decomposition. So, an increase in temperature would directly increase the rate of chemical reactions involved in the process of decay. As well, warmer temperatures may encourage bacterial growth.
- Temperature and light will affect THC too! It’s important to state that both UV light and heat can increase the degradation of THC to CBN. This particular study mentions that THC can degrade to CBN when exposed to temperatures of 37°C to 50°C and 85–100°C.
- Finally, we come to humidity! Pot buds kept in a warm and humid environment are at a high risk of growing mold and mildew. Smoking these buds is detrimental to one’s health and incredibly unappealing to the tastebuds.
5 Tips on How to Store Weed!
Based on the brief biology lesson above, I’m sure you’re wondering what the best way to store marijuana is? Well, the good news you no longer need to wonder about how to store weed.
- Addressing temperature: Preserve your THC by storing your Plain Jane hemp flowers at room temperature, around 21°C (aka 71 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Keep your marijuana in the dark: A 1976 study demonstrated that storing marijuana flowers in a dark environment leads to no loss in THC. However, cannabis flowers stored in light lost most of their THC within 6 days.
- Reduce oxygen exposure: Keeping your delta-8 hemp flowers air-tight prevents the breakdown and degradation of THC to CBN.
- Humidity: Keep your delta-8 THC flowers in a dry environment. To ensure your cannabis stays fresh, we always recommend purchasing humidity packs.
What’s the Best Way to Store Marijuana?
As many different factors influence the “freshness” of marijuana, keeping your weed fresh may seem like a tedious task.
It doesn’t have to be! There are, in fact, many different ways on how to store marijuana at home. And, all of these will have some pros and cons.
Black-Out Titanium Container
Black titanium containers are great as they are not only UV-resistant, but they can also be quite smell-proof. Some black titanium containers designed specifically for keeping marijuana fresh may also come with a humidity pack to maintain moisture levels. Their only downfall is the price! This type of weed storage container can cost anywhere from $25 to $40.
How to Keep Weed Fresh with Mason Jars
Mason jars have been the container of choice for cannabis collectors throughout the years. They are both easy to come by and incredibly affordable. That being said, there are a few downfalls to keep in mind. Firstly, they aren’t going to offer you that exceptional air-tight seal nor are they going to provide you with UV-light protection. And, as we discussed above, it is these factors that result in a loss of THC.
Keep Marijuana Fresh with Mylar Bags
Mylar bags are another great option for weed lovers looking for an affordable storage container. Mylar bags provide an air-tight seal, keeping both oxygen and other gases from entering the packaging. In addition, most mylar bags are opaque, which protects marijuana buds from light damage. Finally, as they are made from stretched polyethylene terephthalate, these forms of containers tend to be incredibly durable and re-usable.
Keeping Marijuana Fresh with Plain Jane Containers
Keeping weed fresh can be easy if you know what to do! If you purchase Plain Jane delta-8 THC or CBD hemp flowers, then we’ve got good news for you! Most hemp flowers come in dark, air-tight containers that can keep moisture and light out. If you don’t own an old Plain Jane weed container, consider purchasing marijuana stash containers online or through your local dispensary.
Got a question about How to Keep Weed Fresh: The Fool’s Proof Guide? Reach out to us in the comments below