Last Updated on 12 months by Yomesh
Have you ever wondered how long does delta-8 THC stays in your system? Or how long does a delta-8 THC high even last? Whatever questions you may have about delta-8 THC edibles or, in fact, any product, we’re here to answer?
But, How Long Does Delta-8 THC Stay in Your System?
Skip Ahead to Topic
Delta 8 THC is a synthetic cannabinoid created from CBD-hemp cannabis plants. It is an isomer of delta-9 THC which means it differs ever so slightly in its molecular structure. Given that delta-8 THC products are fairly new to the cannabis industry, there aren’t many studies that discuss how long delta-8 THC would stay in your system and how long the effects would last. Hence, much of the material here has been extrapolated from research done on delta-9 THC and is subjective to an individual’s experience.
In a previous article discussing delta-8 THC on marijuana drug tests, I briefly touched upon a study that described the pharmacokinetics of the many cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. Next, I looked at another study that mentions that the half-life of the THC metabolite known as THC-COOH in humans is 5.2 to 6.2 days. This means that every 6.2 days a cannabis user would have eliminated at least half the amount of THC consumed. Based on this information, it seems like it takes the human body a bit over 12 days to excrete the THC metabolite completely. Now, marijuana users need to be aware that the time it takes to excrete THC metabolites from the system will be a lot longer for chronic cannabis users.
This is because delta-9 THC (and delta-8 THC too) can build up in fat, which may show up as higher excretion concentrations on a urine detection test. Chronic marijuana users can thus have delta-8 or delta-9 THC present for more than two weeks.
The Effects: How Long Does a Delta 8 High Last?
Before we jump into answering, how long does delta 8 THC stay in your system? I think it is important first to address the longevity of its effects, particularly its high.
So how long does a delta-8 THC high even last? Well, many factors determine the longevity of effects which include the following:
- Individual tolerance to THC: It comes with no surprise that a frequent user of either delta-9 THC or delta-8 THC may notice the delta-8 high dwindling at the 30 minutes to the 40-minute mark. However, a first-time user may find that the delta 8 high may last well past 60 minutes.
- Method of consumption: There are many different types of delta eight products available on the market! Delta 8 gummies, vape cartridge, and buds. Smoking or vaping delta-8 products tends to result in a more potent, long-lasting high as the THC metabolite is directly absorbed into your bloodstream rather than being processed by the gastrointestinal tract. So, if you want to get an instant delta 8 high, then stick with vaping or smoking.
- Individual body mass: Finally, those with a higher fat percentage are more likely to retain THC metabolites for a longer period. This is because delta-8 THC and delta-9 THC are both fat-soluble molecules that love a lipid-rich environment.
- Metabolic activity: As with most drugs, a person with a higher metabolic rate is able to excrete THC metabolites a lot quicker than a person with a lower metabolic rate.
A Marijuana Detox Kit: Getting Rid of the Delta-8 THC in your Body?
Marijuana detox kits, along with plenty of exercise and water, have become the go-to method for people wanting to pass a marijuana drug test. Unfortunately, I must say that I have not found any credible research to support the use of marijuana detox kits as a means of clearing delta-8 THC from your system. To debunk some myths about the THC detox, I have summarized my findings:
A 2018 study aimed to determine if physical exercise or food deprivation was able to release fat-stored cannabinoids. The release of cannabinoids (delta-8 or delta-9 THC) would enable a delta-8 user to pass a drug test. According to this particular study, neither exercise and/or food deprivation were able to alter/decrease the cannabinoid concentrations within the body.
Regarding marijuana detox kits for delta-8 THC users, I have not been able to source credible research to determine the efficacy of these products. It seems as though detox kits and detox drinks work by overloading the body’s metabolism with vitamins, minerals, and fluids which could ultimately lead to a false positive on a marijuana drug test. Theoretically, IV fluids do indeed dilute blood and urine, which could certainly result in a person passing their drug test. However, this has not been proved for cases of marijuana use.
So, what’s the best way to get rid of delta-8 THC from your system? Well, since THC is detectable in the body for up to 30 days, if not longer. The best thing a delta-8 THC user can do is simply abstain from using any form of weed.
A Brief Summary: How Long Does THC Stay in Your System?
To summarize, here is a quick reference for those who’d like to know how long does THC stays in your system.
- Urine marijuana drug test: Infrequent marijuana users can test positive for cannabis for up to 3 days (1 to 3 day).
- Urine marijuana drug test: Frequent weed users can test positive for up to a month.
- How long do edibles last in your system? It can be anywhere from 1 to 5 days.
- Marijuana blood tests: The THC-metabolite can be present in the blood for up to 36 hours.
- Cannabis hair test: Delta-9 THC can remain in the hair follicle for up to 90 days, but this seems more evident in chronic users.