Last Updated on 2 weeks by Yomesh
What are Hemp Straws
The easy answer is, plastic free straws made from hemp. The more detailed answer comes from What is Hemp (.com):
“Hemp drinking straws are plant-based and fully biodegradable. They are made from hemp fiber which is an extract of hemp stalks. The raw material is organic, therefore, hemp straws are sustainable. The straws are a good alternative to conventional plastic.”
Hemp straws last as long as plastic straws in the beverage and are much better for the environment. They feel the same as well, not like paper straws (which are still better than plastic straws) that start to soften up mid way into finishing a beverage.
The Benefits of Hemp Straws vs. Plastic Straws
Leaf Buyer says: “Save the turtles!” and for good reason. Let’s dive into some facts about plastic from Leaf Buyer. Did you know that:
- Every year, 335 million tons of plastics are produced worldwide?
- 45% of all plastics are produced in the United States?
- 29% of plastics made in the United States are for product packaging?
- 60 billion pounds of plastic is discarded into the waste process each year in the United States?
- 40% to 60% of all beach litter is plastic?
Now, let’s dive into hemp facts. Were you aware that:
- Hemp breaks down in 3-6 months?
- Is a self-sustainable and renewable plant that is easy to grow and quick to produce?
- Hemp helps clean soil?
- Hemp is known for its large intake of carbon dioxide which is great for the climate?
Reasons to Switch to Hemp Plastics
Many reasons to switch from plastic to hemp plastic have been documented above; however, let’s explore a few more reasons:
- Researchers found 38 million pieces of plastic waste on one uninhabited island in the South Pacific.
- In 2018, landfills received 27 million tons of plastic.
- In 2015, an estimated 55% of global plastic waste was discarded, only 20% was recycled.
- In the United States, 500 million plastic straws are used per day.
Many don’t believe in climate change and global warming. Many don’t believe that plastic is causing destruction. Many don’t care about the animals that are being impacted by plastic, and all of this is usually because they haven’t seen the research.
I’ll leave you all research on plastics and hemp plastics:
- A study on plastic waste found that 710 million metric tons of plastic waste would enter aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems between 2016 and 2040.
- A study based on waste quantity data from landfills and solid waste samples from 222 sites across the United States also found that the total mass of disposed MSW (municipal solid waste) was significantly greater than the U.S. EPA estimate.
- In 2015, researchers at the University of Exeter weighed up their bioscience department’s annual plastic waste, and found that laboratories worldwide could be responsible for 5.5 million tons of plastic waste a year.