Last Updated on 3 meses by Yomesh
Have you ever wondered how long does weed even lasts? Or does weed expire if kept in storage too long. Although Plain Jane CBD hemp flowers are of exceptional quality and consistency, it’s important to remember that they are biodegradable plant-based products that can degrade with time. So, in this article, we’ll address the long-standing question—that is— how long does weed last? And, we’ll even share some tips on how to preserve your CBD hemp flowers.
Wait, Does Weed Expire?
If you’ve recently discovered some old Plain Jane flowers hidden in your stash, then you’re probably wondering—can I smoke this? It’s fair to ask, does weed go bad? And if it does go bad, does the THC expire or lose its potency.
So, can my Plain Jane weed expire? Definitely! Cannabis, as with many other biodegradable products, can have an expiry date. Canopy Growth’s very own cannabis expert Adam Greenblatt says that weed can expire where dried pot flowers have an expiry date ranging from 6month to a year.
Does THC expire: Can Weed Lose its Potency?
So we addressed the long-standing question, does weed expire. But, one thing we have yet to mention is whether or not THC expires? THC can’t expire, but it can decrease over a period of time. A research paper from 1999 showed the following:
- 1 year after storage THC levels decreased by 16.6% +/- 7.4
- 2 years after storage THC levels dropped even further by 26.8%
- And, 3 years of storage resulted in THC levels dropping by 34.5%
Does Weed Go Bad: 3 Ways to Tell if You’ve got Expired Weed.
Does weed go bad and does weed expire are two different questions. Expiry is something that occurs as a result of time. In other words, over time, CBD hemp flowers will lose certain traits leading to a low potency or ineffective bud. On the other hand, when we ask the question, does weed go bad? We are talking about storage factors that may contribute to a shorter or more compromised shelf life. So, to keep things simple, here are 3 indicators of expired weed.
- Look at its color: The color of a dried pot flower can be a great indicator of its age. Chlorophyll is a compound responsible for giving a plant its rich green color. Pot flowers that maintain a dull-green to brown color have often lost their chlorophyll (degradation). This will tell you that your weed flower is well over 2 years old.
- The aroma emits: Does your Blueberry Diesel CBD hemp flower no longer have that sweet punch? Over time fresh CBD hemp flowers will begin to lose their terpene. And as we all know, terpenes are responsible for giving CBD hemp flowers their pungent aroma. So, a not-so-smelly pot flower is an excellent indicator of weed expiry.
- The texture change: Another way to determine if your weed has expired is to break apart your CBD hemp buds. Plain Jane CBD hemp buds ooze with juicy sap and trichomes giving it a firm-to soft consistency. If your CBD hemp flowers are dry and crumbly, then this is yet another good indicator of weed gone bad.
How Long Does it Take for Weed to go Bad? Poor Storage Contribution
4 factors can cause the weed to go bad, including light exposure, humidity, temperature, and air.
Excessive exposure to light will damage the cannabinoids found in your hemp flowers. On the other hand, excessive oxygen exposure can dry out your weed resulting in a loss of potency and flavor.
Humidity and temperature are two other important factors to consider when thinking about how long it takes for weed to go bad. The ideal storage temperature for CBD or delta-8 products is 20oC to 30oC. Storing pot flowers at a cooler temperature can increase the risk of mold and mildew growth. While keeping it in a warm or hot climate can damage the cannabinoids present with the buds. Finally, we come to humidity! Pot flowers stored in a warm and moist environment are at risk of growing mold spores. Smoking moldy weed is not incredibly toxic, but it tastes pretty rank.
How Long Does Weed Stay Good? How to Make Your Weed Last.
The best way to preserve your Plain Jane hemp flowers is to keep them in an air-tight container. The air-tight container should be kept in a dry and temperate environment away from direct sunlight. Follow these steps, and we’re sure you’re weed will last.
Got a question about does weed expire? Drop me a comment below